The comprehensive, lasting record of how our best-loved buildings look today.


THE RIVER GROM

The small stream which once marked the county boundary flowed beside what is now Cumberland Walk, behind the Lower Walk of the Pantiles, and along Eridge Road.

In 1853, following years of complaints that it had become an open sewer and was a hazard to public health, it was finally enclosed in a barrel drain at the expense of the Local Board, assisted by a contribution from the Earl of Abergavenny. 

It now emerges in the garden centre beyond the western boundary of the Common. Although local residents never dignified it with a name, it is in fact the beginning of the River Grom.